The Mutineer – Not coming to a bookstore anytime soon.

I didn’t really want to post this on New Years Eve but I reckon it is better off coming to you now at the end of a thoroughly rotten year  instead of 2010. I was just reading the latest update by Anita over at Huffington Post and I came across the following comment from her in the feedback section in response to a question about The Mutineer.

“The Mutineer has such sensitive letters in it that we are postponing it until some of the dust settles. I”d like to see it in the hands of readers as much as you do. Hunter was a gentleman, so it’s best to wait — but not sacrifice the inside story of the last 15 years of his life.”

Ugh…I am gutted. I have been looking forward to reading this for a long, long time and I am sure the same goes for the thousands of you that have visited this blog over the past year, not to mention all the other readers of Hunter’s work from every corner of the globe. I have also been eager to get my hands on this before I finish my Ph.D on Hunter, I guess that is not going to happen now which is a huge blow to my work.

Oh well at least we can all look forward to The Rum Diary in 2010.

All the best,

R

9 thoughts on “The Mutineer – Not coming to a bookstore anytime soon.

• December 31, 2009 at 4:30 pm

Damn! I’ve had that on order with Amazon for about 2 years.

Happy New Year to everyone at Totally Gonzo.

Simon

• January 1, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Happy New Year Simon and I guess we all learned a lesson here. Don’t trust Amazon for release dates!

• January 1, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Yeah tell me about it, hopefully we will get Polo Is My Life or even better The Gun Lobby instead.

• Pingback: Mutineer Scuppered Again « Hunter S. Thompson Books

• January 5, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Thanks for the update…I actually came across this website when I did a search for “Mutineer” news this morning after discovering that the publication date had been extended yet again. I was wondering why this was the case…I think I ordered it almost 4 years ago, and they even seem to know how many pages are in the book, so why the continued delay? It’s nice to have an answer.

• Pingback: 16 Years!!!!!!!!! Amazon: Take This Listing Down | David Atkinson's Blog

• July 13, 2016 at 3:45 pm

I don’t buy this. That was 7 years ago. Who knows how many veteran HST readers dropped dead waiting in the interim. By the time they settle the squabbles in the HST Estate, the generation who knew HST for his writing will be gone and the dimwit generation left will only know the guy for drugs and guns and bikes. I’d be interested to hear Doug Brinkley’s explanation. If some letters would incur litigation, OK, leave those out for the sake of making a belated book of great interest to an ageing population available. What letters, how many, are so ‘sensitive’ when the first 2 volumes got clearance easily when HST was alive. And if he were alive today, you can bet The Mutineer would’ve been published years ago.

• December 5, 2018 at 9:59 pm

‘such sensitive letters in it that…’ Bullshit. It was bullshit then and it’s clearly bullshit now.
    HST Estate has badly let down his fans, the history of literature, and the man himself.