Skip to content

Hunter S. Thompson – The Gonzo Papers: Anthology

April 23, 2009

The Gonzo Papers Anthology

The Gonzo Papers Anthology

Just came across this while browsing on Amazon. It is due to be released by Picador on October 2nd 2009 and it appears to be The Gonzo Papers Vol 1, 2 ,3 & 4 all within the one cover. It will be a paperback and a whopping 1248 pages.

What do you think? Not sure about the cover myself, kind of drab. (Maybe it is the tan colour that is putting me off – oh well minor complaint)

Ron Mexico

To discuss this post in the forums click here

Bookmark and Share

Advertisements
9 Comments leave one →
  1. April 25, 2009 8:02 am

No, I don’t think it’s too drab… Rather, it’s in-keeping with the new found respectability that’s coming with time and understanding. People are realising now that Thompson wasn’t all about guns & drugs, and that is resulting in more biographies and critical studies.

I’ll just take this little chance to mention that there’s an article on Hunter S Thompson in the newest issue of Beatdom, which was released a few days ago, after more than a year of stalling. It’s available for free at http://www.beatdom.com/Issue_Three.pdf or go to http://www.beatdom.com and follow the links.

David

• Ron Mexico permalink*
      April 25, 2009 12:12 pm

Yeah that is a good thing but they could still have produced a better cover that reinforces that position. I’d scrap the image and replace it with a larger shot of Hunter at his typewriter.

2. Jack permalink
    April 25, 2009 4:27 pm

Nah, I just stick with my loose Gonzo Paper books.
    Any paperback book with more than thousand pages is a pain in the ass to read in my opinion.

3. Jack permalink
    April 26, 2009 8:19 pm

I mean, it is readable, but not very handy.

4. May 2, 2009 6:01 pm

Gez that one slipped by me. Better wake up and get cracking.

5. May 4, 2009 4:41 am

I agree with Jack about the format – a 1248 page paperback is going to be a bit cumbersome. It better have one heck of a good binding. I know how much use (my wife would probably say abuse) that books by my favorite authors tend to get. A book with that many pages, that is likely to be read and reread a whole effin’ lot had better be able to take it.

6. Blatch Emerson permalink
    May 29, 2009 3:35 pm

Sepia FTW! I’ve already got Vol. 1, should I bother getting this when it comes out? Oh, and will it contain Generation of Swine?

• GonzoHunter permalink
      September 6, 2009 8:59 pm

Can anyone tell me exactly which books are in this anthology? I’ve recently purchased The Rum Diary, F&L In Las Vegas & campaign trail 72 also hells angels & F&L in America. I was thinking of purchasing this & also the Ancient Gonzo wisdom out at the same time. I read somewhere that great shark hunt is part of this anthology – is this correct? I ask because I am thinking of buying Kingdom of Fear: Loathsome Secrets of a Star-crossed Child in the Final Days of the American Century and was wondering if it was in any of the planned 1028 pagers. Any info would be greatfully recieved.

7. Jonathan L permalink
    October 28, 2009 3:42 pm

Found it on the publishers website. Contains “The Great Shark Hunt, Generation of Swine and Songs of the Doomed published for the first time in a single volume”

So its vols 1-3. I think Generation and Songs are both completely out of print in the UK, so this is good.

Source: