Skip to content

Rare Hunter S. Thompson Article – Why Boys Will Be Girls

September 3, 2008

Algren has never been accused of being “sexually confused,” and he doesn’t wear his hair particularly long. Nor do I, for that matter, but I have a fine collection of women’s hats. I cultivated this taste in the Air Force, as a reaction to the ugly bus driver’s caps that found favor with General LeMay. Unfortunately, he retired before I had a chance to confront him at a command inspection. I had a feathered bonnet, at the time, that would have stunned his eyeballs and ruined his mind.”

Hunter S. Thompson – When Boys Will Be Girls (Pageant Magazine Aug. 1967)

I was lucky enough to pick up a copy of Pageant Magazine recently after a furious bidding war on ebay (sorry Tom), and inside the covers this fabulous story from the Good Doctor graced several pages. It is the only place that I have seen it to date and it makes for a really interesting read. You can check it out in full over in our rare articles section.

In other news it appears that Alex Gibney’s Gonzo will be available to purchase on Amazon from November 18th. You can place pre-orders and reserve a copy now.

Thats all for now,

Ron Mexico

To discuss this post in the forums click here

Bookmark and Share

About these ads
9 Comments leave one →
  1. September 3, 2008 8:55 pm

Thanks for that one Ron. I have that magazine but it is sealed up tight in a mylar sleeve, and me being a anally retentive will not open it. Cheers.

2. September 4, 2008 12:50 pm

I’m impressed! Great site!

3. tokyomushroom permalink
    September 10, 2008 12:41 pm

i said:

this is very import worthy.
    too bad i don’t have a creditcard.

now, don’t delete my replies anymore, silly.

4. Ron Mexico permalink*
    September 10, 2008 1:22 pm

Sorry bout that man, I have a spam blocker thingy that sometimes catches genuine comments and lumps them in with real spam. If I forget to check it, they all get deleted. It’s weird.

5. tokyomushroom permalink
    September 10, 2008 2:40 pm

well, actually it is my fault. i went insane in my mouse-scrolling and clicked on the wrong comments.

so, i’m sorry. and thank you for uploading this story.

6. September 10, 2008 9:38 pm

Oooh I feel inspired. I just wrote another piece of writing inspired by the gonzo king. I think I’m exceptionally disillusioned by life lately…Ralph Steadman bring me my shotgun!

7. MartinaPeehead permalink
    October 15, 2009 11:35 pm

The first page of the article “Why Boys Will be Girls” was interesting as hell. I really was getting into it. Then I tried loading the second page, and it would only load half way? I’ve tried several times, with no luck. I then tried loading other articles, and the same thing happened. Is my computer fucked, or is everyone getting that? Could you possibley send me the rest of “Why Boys will be Girls”?

8. johnnyberlin permalink
    February 6, 2011 7:55 pm

brilliant site man.
    i’m in Iraq, and have been hungry for more HST.
    thank you.

• February 6, 2011 9:03 pm

Glad you like it, mind yourself over there!